National Service Scheme
NOT ME BUT YOU
National Service Scheme (NSS) is a permanent youth programme under the Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports, Government of India and funded by Government of Tamil Nadu and Government of India in the ratio of 5:7.
Objective of NSS
Personality development of students through Community Service.
The motto of NSS is “NOT ME BUT YOU“. It underlines that the welfare of an individual is ultimately dependent on the welfare of the society as a whole. This expresses the essence of democratic living and upholds the need of selfless service and appreciation of the other man’s point of view and also consideration for fellow human beings.
The NSS symbol is based on the “Rath Wheel” of the Konark Sun Temple of Orissa. The giant wheel portrays the cycles of creation, preservation and release and signifies the movement in life across time and space. The design of the symbol, a simplified form of Sun Chariot Wheel primarily depicts movement. The wheel signifies the progressive cycle of life. It also stands for dynamism and progressive outlook of youth.
Activities of NSS Volunteers and Adoption of Village
The Activities under NSS are two-fold, viz.
- Regular activities, which are undertaken during the working days of the semester
- Special Camping activities for 10 days duration in the adopted village/urban slum during vacation.
Each NSS unit in the college is expected to adopt a nearby village/slum and work for its all-round development. Regular activities and special campus should preferably be organised in the adopted village/rural unit/slum for this purpose.
Under this, students undertake various Programmes in the adopted villages, College Campuses and urban slums during weekends or after college hours. The activities shall be planned as follows as per DPAs NSS RC's Lr.No.2-21/2001-2002/NSS dt.3.9.2001.
|1||General orientation of NSS Volunteers, NSS Day Celebrations||20 Hours|
|2||Career guidance for the NSS Volunteers, by the experts and by the NSS Volunteers for +2 Students||20 Hours|
|3||Skill development (first aid, disaster management, public speaking)||30 Hours|
|4||Community Development Projects - Health, Cleanliness, Road Safety, Visits to Homes, Consumer Awareness etc.||20 Hours|
AchievementsOur college NSS Unit conducted Special Camps at
- Susai Puram– Thiruvallore District - 3 yrs
- Anthony Puram – Thiruvallore District - 1 yr
- KallamPedu - Thiruvallore District - 2 yrs
- Mettupalayam – Kanchipuram District - 2 yrs
- Somangalam – Kanchipuram District - 1 yr.
- We organized one day camp in which officials from Thiruvallore Collector Office &AdiDravidar Welfare Office came and included the villagers in to Government Special Schemes such as Insurance etc.,
- We helped the villagers to renovate their Church.
- We requested the State Transport Corporation to introduce a Bus route from Sriperumpudur to Kottaiyur Village and our request was granted.
- Conducted a rally to create Awareness over Tuberculosis and admitted & took care for few patients in Tambaram - Sanatoriam Hospital.
- Conducted one day Medical camp in all the fourth Sunday during 2010-11 at Kilachery Church.
- Constructed Toilets for RCM Govt. High School – Kallampedu.
- Renovated the Public Toilet in all the Camp Sites for the Public Use.